What is DiversityFIRST™ Network?
DiversityFIRST™ Network is a national sub-organization under the large umbrella of its parent national organization, DiversityFIRST™. DiversityFIRST™ Network consists of two chapters: Student and Young Professional. These chapters work collectively to enable the members of the organization and enhance the presence, awareness, and influence of diversity among current and future business leaders.
Why should I join?
DiversityFIRST™ is an organization that enables the members and corporate community to reach their full potential by engaging in networking, mentoring, and education. DiversityFIRST gives students and young professionals an opportunity to engage in an organization that will strengthen their career-building skills.
What type of companies can be corporate partners?
Companies of any size that work in any type of field are invited to sponsor and support DiversityFIRST™. We invite and encourage all companies to review the website and contact the local chapters in their area to collaborate with them and serve the corporate community.
What are the different types of memberships?
There are two different types of membership: Student and Young Professional. Student membership is granted to both full-time undergraduate and graduate students. Students can join through the DiversityFIRST™ chapter at their university.
What events does DiversityFIRST™ Network have?
DiversityFIRST™ is aware of the importance of professional mentoring, meetings, social mixers, and business roundtables to relay information and give its members an opportunity to network. As a result, DiversityFIRST™ will host numerous events that will provide members with a means of acquiring knowledge, effectively networking, and gaining access to career professionals from a broad spectrum of fields.
If there is no chapter at my university, how can I start a Student chapter?
Initial steps should be completed with the national organization first. To start a Student chapter, you must:
– Contact the DiversityFIRST™ national organization and having us to agree to sponsor a student chapter at your university
– Must be a current undergraduate or graduate full time student at university
– Good standing with university
– Believes in the Mission and Vision of the organization
Steps completed within the university
– Contact the DiversityFIRST™ national organization and have us agree to sponsor a student chapter at your university
– Be a current, full-time undergraduate or graduate student at an accredited university
– Be in good standing with the university
– Believe in the Mission and Vision of the organization
Secondary steps to be completed within the university:
– Contact local Campus Activities office about starting a DiversityFIRST™ Network chapter at your university
– Find an active professor to serve as the advisor for the Student chapter
– Get a commitment from 4 students that display leadership, professionalism, and strong communication skills.
If there is no local chapter, how can I start a Young Professional chapter?
The three steps to start a local Young Professional chapter:
– Contact the DiversityFIRST™ national organization for approval
– Get a commitment of 4 professionals that believe in the Mission and Vision of the organization to serve as initial officers of the chapter
– Pay the Young Professional chapter fee of $90
If I am a full-time graduate student, do I select the Student or Young Professional membership?
All full time students, whether it is undergraduate or graduate work, are eligible for Student membership
If I am a part-time student, do I select the Student or Young Professional membership type?
The Student membership types are for students who are full-time. If you are a part –time student, please apply for the Young Professional membership.
Is there an age limit for Young Professionals?
Yes. The age limit for Young Professionals is 35.